Friday, May 13, 2011

Day 24

Day 24- A photo of something that means a lot to you

My "baby blanket"

A good portion of my pictures from when I was young look something like this...My mom washed my blanket then hung it out to dry. How dare she? I needed it!!
If I am not holding it sucking my thumb, I am wrapped up in it, dragging it behind me, or have it laying next to me. Within arms length of course.

My Grandma Brough (who almost everytime I see her asks if I still have it and sleep with it) made this blanket for me when I was a baby. It is quite an ugly blanket with some goofy looking little boy (or maybe its supposed to be a little girl?) on it doing various things, such as sittin on a fence, playing with a dog, swimming, carrying a fishing pole, riding a bike, etc. Now days, this little child is quite faded and barely visible. Every time I wash it chunks of batting get left behind in the dryer. Because of this it is now almost completely see through and has many MANY holes, rips and even a burn mark from when I got too close to the heater eating a dippy roll one cold Sunday morning in our old log house.

Over the years I have gotten teased relentlessly about this blanket. Right after I got married I carefully, and sadly, folded it and placed it in the top of our closet, determined to "grow up". It stayed there for probably a good 4-6 months until one day, I was laying in bed, sick, when I spied him laying there on the top shelf. I got him down and have yet to put him back. Don't judge me. My blanky is the first thing I grab when I am sick, when I am sad, or when I just want to cuddle (I know I know, that's why I have a husband. But much to my dismay I just so happened to marry a man that is not a huge fan of cuddling). Yes, I do sleep with it every night and yes, my husband thinks it is utterly disgusting and makes fun of me almost nightly. He finds it quite comical to, on occasion, climb in bed before me, hide it, and watch me search frantically for it. But I always find it or make him give it back before I let either of us go to sleep!

One day I am sure I will retire my blanky once and for all. But for now, I am quite content having it curled up, cuddled to my face every night.

Ok, now go ahead, judge me if you'd like! :)

3 comments:

Corrie said...

Oh I LOVE those pics, I so remember that day you went out on the deck to suck your thumb! Oh where did my baby girl go. LOL I have honestly looked for that very same fabric off and on and one day I might find it since retro stuff is in. I can't believe you wrote that it was ugly hahaha shame on you. LOL I am glad you have your blanky! Love ya

Bryan and Dayna said...

Oh heidi!!! I am the same way!! My blanket is in bed every night!! Bryan is always making fun of me, but its one of those things I just can't give up!! YOu totally described me, but I never tried to grow up and but it away!!!

Kirst said...

haha this post totally reminded me of conversations we had when we both worked at Gardners! I want you to know that I still sleep with my blanky every night. I always have to strategically plan the days that I wash it so that I can wash it in the morning so I can have it back in plenty of time or else it stresses me out, and the whole time I'm washing it i'm stressed that its going to come out of the wash in pieces because its so old and fragile. :) lets just say I don't wash it as much as I should because it turns into to much of an ordeal haha.