Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Starting a new adventure

Today was the first day of my internship, for real. I was kind of supposed to start last Friday because it was the preschool openhouse and the children were welcome to come for about an hour to see the classroom and meet their teachers but neither of the boys I am working with came. So today was the first actual day of preschool and oh man...........this really is the start of a new adventure that might just be a little bit tougher than I thought, but it is going to be very rewarding as well. Both of the little boys I'm working with are SO SO SO cute and I'm super excited to see how they learn, grow and progress over the next 2 1/2 months or so. The highlight of my day was when I was supposed to be on my little lunch break and I was informed that the mom of one of the little boys in my class had called the lab manager and told her that this little boy's little sister (who had come to our open house yesterday) has Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease. Yeah.....so needless to say I spent my 2 hour break sanitizing my classroom and the toys we had out while she was in our classroom for the openhouse eventhough children (more, besides mine that were all around her yesterday) had used that classroom this morning and the toddler lab had already used the rice from the sensory table she was trying to eat while she was there. (But yes, we did throw it out before more people could use it). I knew it wasn't a funny situation but I couldn't help but laugh, maybe so I wouldn't cry? lol. But our lab manager and the professors over the preschool looked it up and called CDC and we don't need to worry too much unless we have an outbreak in one of our other kids. If you are like me and don't really know about Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease feel free to check this site out http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/enterovirus/hfhf.htm. So yes, today was a great adventure and not necessarily the way I would have picked to start this internship and preschool semester. But now, after 11 1/2 hours on campus I am home gettin all my stuff ready to teach tomorrow. Wish me luck! :) Oh, and thanks so much to my amazing hubby who brought me lunch since I forgot to take food with me! LOVE YOU honey and wish you weren't at work.

3 comments:

b.family said...

Don't you just love that!! We had a mom come in today and tell us that her 1 year old who has been there all week has the herpe virus, yep all over the inside of her little mouth and throat. So much fun to sanitize everything!
Good luck with your little boys. It sounds like so much fun!!

Anonymous said...

Uh ooh, didn't the mom know she was sick when she brought her in???? Pretty sure with something like that she would have had to have known something was up? Glad all your toys are disinfected now, enjoy your little guys. And what a great big guy you have to bring you food! You probably should keep him! Love ya, Mom

Mr and Mrs Merrill... said...

lacie--that sucks! sure hope that nobody else in your preschool comes down with it.
mommy--the mom just thought the little girl was teething. and don't worry...i plan on keeping my big boy around! :)
thanks to both of you for the good luck with these little boys, ill need it. love ya both