Thursday, June 16, 2011

JoAnn's Fabric....never again

You know when something upsets you and you just can't let it go? Something like getting SCREWED on a recent purchase? Well...that would be me as of late.

I am really not the kind of person to complain when something goes wrong at a restaurant, store or whatever. I'm just not that kind of person. On the rare occasion that I do complain about a miss price or bad food (and it has to be really bad) I always feel terrible and try to make the person I am complaining to realize that I know it's not their fault...cuz I know that they have no control over it, and cuz I'm nice like that :) Well in this case, for some reason, I am WAY more worked up then usual.

So let me tell you what happened.

Last Friday I went into JoAnn's Fabric in Idaho Falls. I needed to get some ribbon for a craft I was making for my girls at girls camp. I am really not craft-savy and didn't really know what I was doing. So, I did the best I could and came out with a little over 16 yards of ribbon (split amongst 3 different kinds) and having spent just under $20. Oh and did I mention I had a 40% off coupon that I used on the ribbon I got the most of/was most expensive? Well I did, that's why I went to JoAnn's in the first place. Well...I knew I did not have enough ribbon for what I needed but I was being rushed, I didn't know what I was doin, I couldn't do the math fast enough in my head and they didn't have much to choose from. I was all around flustered so I got what I could and just left. I thought it sounded like a lot of money for not a lot of ribbon but being the craft-illiterate that I am, I didn't think much of it. I got home to Star Valley Wyoming where I was having my amazingly crafty mother help me make said craft. As I knew we would, we ran out of ribbon just over half way through our project and had to go into the teeny tiny craft store in Afton WY (population 1,818). I was a little worried because our small little town tends to be quite a bit more expensive on things and I still needed about 9 yards of ribbon.

To make a long story short, I purchased 7/8 inch groisgrain ribbon at JoAnn's Fabric for $1.29/yard then turned around and paid $0.35/yard for the EXACT same ribbon at above mentioned teeny tiny craft store.

Giving JoAnn's the benefit of the doubt, I checked out the same ribbon at Walmart when I got back to Blackfoot. Sure enough, $0.31/yard.

I just got off the phone with JoAnn's fabric in Idaho Falls to which the only response I got was, "Hmmmm, that's interesting. Well, that looks like what we charge normally. If you can bring an ad in saying the price at the other stores we can give you that price." To which my response was, "Well I don't think I will be able to find an ad since that is their normal price also. But I will do some checking I guess and see if I can find one. Otherwise, I guess I'm just stuck with what you charged me."

She did tell me "sorry" before hanging up and I did let her know that it was ok, I knew it wasn't her fault I got screwed :)

The only plus side to all of this, I get to turn the receipt into our ward and make them pay for the ridiculously priced ribbon.

*Thanks for listening. I feel better :) *

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I just had an awful experience with Joann.com. I ordered some stuff and like 3 weeks later I still didn't have it and we were moving. Called Joanns and they said the order got lost so I had them send it to my grandmas. AFTER I got the package they sent an email saying that every item in my order was backordered and they would refund my card. Two weeks after that my landlord called and said my package was there! So she had to send it to me in Boise. And then I found out that you can't return an online order In the store because they are "totally different things". So I am pretty angry at Joanns too! Haha thanks for letting me rant.

Heather said...

I think you should picket out front of their store with a sign that says don't go in, you'll get screwed!! :)